
Will and I had the wonderful opportunity to go back to our honeymoon spot on our 4th wedding anniversary in June. It was great to say the least. We even stayed in the same cabin. This trip we stayed 4 nights instead of 2. (that was all we could afford on our first trip)
On our honeymoon we found this trail off the road with these incredible waterfalls. We stubbled upon it a few years. Driving along one of the winding mountain roads, we saw a glipse of massive boulders with water running over them with great force. The water was so clear it was rushing white as it flowed over the rocks. Wanting to see if we could get a better look, we pulled into a deserted parking lot on side of the two lane road, walked down a wooded path, and we could hear the rushing water. About 50 yards from our car was a nice walking bridge over the waterfall. It was beautiful. Will, being the adventurous one, walked down to the rocks. He looked like a little kid up next to the big rocks. We saw a trail going up the mountain a little higher, but being the great adventurer I am, I was like "heck no! I'm not coming face to face with a bear!"
So, back in the mountains of Gatlinburg 4 years later, we thought we would try to find it again. After a little of "stop = this is it" and "no it's not, it was on the left", we found the trail again. It was just as beautiful as we remembered. Except this time, the parking lot was full and there were a few people on the bridge with us. In fact, there were folks coming down the mountain and going up. So I guess the path wasn't so decerted after all. This nice (sweaty and painting) couple were coming down the path toward the bridge. He had a camera like mine and noticed I was trying to take a pictue of will and I with the waterfalls in the background. He offered to take our picture. We told him our story about how we love watching the rushing water and had found this place 4 years before. He and his wife began to talk about the hike up. "It's like walking at a steep incline, but the next two bridges are worth the hike. It's not to far. I wouldn't go past the third bridge unless you plan to reach the summit, but it's so worth it." I looked at Will and was like "we must go see more of these beautiful waterfall". He raised his eyebrows like I had transformed into a weird creature. "are you sure??...will you make it up the hill?..what about your heart.." and on and on. I was - "you heard the couple, it's tough but worth it. we can do it!!"

So off we went. About ten feet into the path, I was breathing pretty heavidly, regretting not having on socks, wishing I had brought water, and cursing every last cigeratte I had inhaled the last 24 hours. I was gasping by minute 10. And then we saw this neat tree. It was three different trees that had merged into one on top.

I joked around with Will and said " look! It's - me - you- and- your-texas-girlfriend" gasping for air between each word but trying deperately to sound normal. We laughed and keep walking up hill. It felt like I was on a stair master! Just Horrible by minute 15. Then, I heard something - PEOPLE! I grabbed by camera and stopped pretending to take pictures. I would not let experienced hikers dressed in the best hiking apparel from the best hiking store walk by with me trying to go up a trail at a 90 degree angle gasping for air. So I pretended to take pictures as I stood up straight with by hands off my knees. They said "hi" and Will said "how'd you do?". I just nodded. If I was to speak, it would have been completely breathless and they would KNOW that I was completely struggling. (I'm sure my red as blood face and sweat would have never given away that I was completely out of shape.) This went on for ETERNITY, well only the rest of the journey up, but it felt like forever. Then - I could hear the water again. We MUST be near the 2nd bridge. And I hear the angels in heaven singing. Well, not really singing, but I did see the 2nd bridge.
The hiking couple was right. It was beautiful. Just as I was about to sit in the middle of the bridge and rest, there were more hikers so I had to stand up. I, being resourceful and "hiding" my breathlessness, I leaned against the railing of the bridge.
We decided to forge on to the 3rd bridge. I'm still not sure what I was thinking. It would even longer to get to the third bridge. Will kept looking back asking "are you ok" and "you aight?" to the point that I HAD to stop. I couldn't see straight and I was praying for the Lord to forgive me for ever last cigarette I had smoked the last 8 years. We stopped and drank from a little spring behind us. Being very smart, we didn't bring water.
We FINALLY made it to the 3rd bridge. It was sooo worth it.
The hike down was NOTHING. I was able to enjoy the beauty on the way down because - alas - I could BREATH!! Air was actually entering my lungs and I wasn't caughing up yuck.
You know... marriage is alot like this. We see the beautiful water falls and the glowing people before us that have been on the trail tell us how it's tough, but so worth it. Blinded be the beauty and romance of it all, we don't even notice they are glowing from sweat and work. We set off on a journey unprepared. No training, no water, and no clue where the path leads. We see a tree that is three in one, make a joke about, not even realizing the importance of what it symbolizes. People enter out lifes and we stand up pretending to have it all together. We continue down our marriage path sometimes huntched over gasping for air, trying our best to put one foot in front of the other. We rest, drink water of the Living One, and trek on up the hill to see the beauty we've been told about as we continue to contemplate turning around wondering if it's really worth the struggle. I say it is worth the struggle. The view is A-Maze-In!! And looking back, so was the trip up the trail. It just seemed hard when I was wondering if I was going to make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment